- Weight Loss Help
- BetaLife Diet Program
- Body Diet Life
- BetaLife on Twitter
- BetaLife on Facebook
Has anyone tried the "Fast Track" Liver Detox (by Ann Louise Gittleman)? Can someone try this detox and tell me if it works?
It sounds great, and her book had lots of publicity. The 1 day detox thing really sounded good, until I saw it takes a week to prepare for it! Still I am interested if it works, any guinea pigs? Please post back with your results...
Here is the detox plan:
Whether you're trying to drop unwanted pounds or flush out unwelcome toxins, you need a healthy liver to make it happen. Here's how to keep this overachieving organ in optimal shape.
One of your liver's most important functions, though - and the one most crucial to your weight loss - is chemically breaking down everything that enters your body, from the healthiest bite of organic food to the poisonous pesticides that linger on your salad; from the purest filtered water to a glass of wine or a cup of coffee; from your daily vitamin and mineral supplements to your doctor-prescribed blood-pressure medication.
Ironically, many of the low-carb diets that people adopt to lose excess weight only make matters worse. By encouraging us to eat a lot of meat (much of which is laden with toxins), and discouraging us from eating enough fiber-rich, water-dense fruits and vegetables, such diets can slow elimination. By loading us up with so many proteins that our stomachs can't produce enough acid to digest them all, such diets can inhibit proper digestion, overloading our liver and intestines with a stream of nasty, internally produced poisons such as indican, ammonia, cadaverine and histide.
Fortunately, the liver, in its infinite wisdom, produces bile, a crucial substance for detoxifying our bodies. Bile lubricates our intestines and works with fiber to prevent constipation. Bile is also where the liver dumps all the drugs, heavy metals, xenoestrogens, excess sex hormones from the Pill and hormone replacement therapy, medications, pesticides, industrial chemicals, and other toxins, so they can eventually be eliminated from the body.
One of bile's other main duties is to help our bodies break down the fats we need and to assimilate fat-soluble vitamins. Without bile, we couldn't convert beta-carotene into vitamin A, nor could we use calcium. But when our bile becomes overly congested with the toxins it's trying to filter out, it simply can't function properly. It becomes thick, viscous and highly inefficient in breaking down fats. The result: You are more likely to gain weight and to have greater difficulty losing it.
Cleansing the liver helps it produce better, more efficient bile. That helps your body flush toxins and break down fat more effectively. It also makes more energy-giving nutrients available to your body and reduces strain on your digestive and immune systems. Your elimination improves, and your colon is relieved of unnecessary burdens. The net effect: You look and feel better, and it becomes far easier for you to achieve and maintain your ideal weight.
The Fast Track: A Three-Stage Process
Although the fasting part of the detox plan is just a single day (making it very safe), the complete process calls for both a seven-day preparation and a three-day follow-up phase designed to properly prepare your system for the liver-cleansing juice fast and then help extend and compound your healthy results.
1. Each day, for seven days, choose at least one serving from each group of the following Liver-Loving Foods:
- Crucifers, such as cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, broccoli sprouts
- Green leafy vegetables and herbs, like parsley, kale, watercress, chard, cilantro, beet greens, escarole, dandelion greens and mustard greens
- Citrus, like oranges, lemons and limes (avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice, which contain a compound called naringen that can interfere with the liver-cleansing process)
- Sulfur-rich foods, like garlic, onions, eggs and daikon radish
- Liver healers, such as artichoke, asparagus, beets, celery, dandelion-root tea, whey and nutritional yeast flakes
2. Each day, choose at least two of the following Colon-Caring foods: powdered psyllium husks, milled or ground flaxseeds, carrots, apple, pear or berries.
3. Each day, drink half your body weight in ounces of filtered or purified water.
4. Each day, make sure you have at least two servings (the size of the palm of your hand) of protein in the form of lean beef, lamb, skinless chicken, turkey or fish, or, if you're a vegan or vegetarian, at least 2 tablespoons a day of a high-quality blue-green algae or a spirulina source (available in natural-foods and health stores).
5. Each day, make sure you have 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil in the form of olive oil, flaxseed oil or a “woman's oil” (a flaxseed oil-black-currant oil blend).
6. Avoid the following “detox detractors”:
- Excess dietary fats, especially trans fats
- Any form of sugar, including honey and maple syrup
- Artificial sweeteners
- Refined carbohydrates, including white rice and products made from white flour
- Gluten, found in wheat, rye, barley and all their related products, such as packaged cereals, macaroni and cheese, pizza dough, pasta, tortillas, pancake/waffle mixes and cookies, as well as in many “low-carb” products, vegetable proteins, some soy sauces and distilled vinegars
- Soy protein isolates, found in many protein energy bars and processed soy foods
- Alcohol, over-the-counter drugs and caffeine
One-Day Detox Juice Fast
Every ingredient of the One-Day Detox Diet has been specially chosen to stave off hunger; balance your blood sugar; rev up your metabolism; and keep you feeling fit, energized and trim throughout your fasting day.
Prepare the Miracle Juice
- Cranberry Water - unsweetened cranberry juice or unsweetened cranberry juice concentrate diluted with filtered water (be sure to use 100 percent pure, unsweetened cranberry juice that has no sugar, corn syrup or other juices added)
- Ground ginger
- Freshly squeezed orange juice
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Stevia (a sweet-tasting herb that is widely available at natural-food stores) to taste
1. Bring Cranberry Water to a light boil; reduce the heat to low.
2. Place cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg into a tea ball; add to the Cranberry Water. (For a tangier juice, add the spices directly to the liquid.)
3. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes; cool to room temperature.
4. Stir in the orange and lemon juices. Add stevia at this time, if desired.
Alternate drinking 1 cup (8 ounces/250mls) of filtered water and 1 cup (8 ounces/250mls) of Miracle Juice during the day. Drink at least 72 ounces (2 Litres) of filtered water throughout the day, in addition to the Miracle Juice. Make sure you drink at least a cup of liquid - either the Miracle Juice or water - every hour. Begin the protocol when you wake up in the morning. You don't have to begin at a specific time, but be sure to have all eight glasses of Miracle Juice in addition to the 72 ounces of water by day's end.
Upon rising and at the end of the day, take one serving of a colon-caring supplement, chosen from among the following:
- Powdered psyllium husks (1 to 2 teaspoons mixed in 8 ounces (250mls) of water or Miracle Juice)
- Ground or milled flaxseeds (2 to 3 tablespoons mixed in 10 to 12 (300-350mls) ounces of water or 8 ounces (250 mls) Miracle Juice)
Engage in only light exercise - either a 20-minute walk or 10 minutes on a rebounder or elliptical machine.
The Three-Day sequel
Following your One-Day Detox, it's essential that you follow this sequel program for three days straight. Otherwise, your reentry into normal eating may leave you feeling bloated, constipated and more toxic than before.
1. Each day, choose at least one of the following probiotic food sources to restore “friendly bacteria”:
- Sauerkraut (1/2 cup). You can either make your own or buy an organic, raw variety. Most store-bought sauerkraut is processed with heat, which kills the naturally occurring enzymes and microflora, so check the label carefully.
- Yogurt. Nonfat, low-fat or whole-milk yogurt are all fine, but look for plain yogurt whose label reads “live, active cultures.”
2. Before each meal, take one or more tablets of hydrochloric acid in a formula that contains at least 500 to 540 milligrams of betaine hydrochloride with at least 100 to 150 milligrams of pepsin, and at least 50 milligrams of ox bile extract (such formulas are widely available at most health and nutrition stores and at many natural groceries).
3. Follow steps 1 through 6 of the Seven-Day Prequel.
Where to Go From Here
Pay attention to the positive, dramatic impact that supporting your body's natural detoxification systems can have on your overall health and well-being. Follow these basic detox suggestions and I trust that you will feel lighter, happier and more excited about your body's healthy potential than you have in years.